Your cancer plan may call for treatments such as chemotherapy, blood transfusions, intrathecal therapy or biotherapy. Chemotherapy uses strong medication to target cancer cells, and comes in many forms and is managed by a medical oncologist. To see a list of the medical oncologists on our medical staff at Pennington Cancer Center, please click here.
- What are the goals for my chemo?
- How do I know if my chemo is working?
- After I finish chemo, will I be cured, in remission or have fewer symptoms?
- What are the side effects and risks of the chemotherapy I'll be taking?
- What can I do to help decrease the side effects of my chemo?
- Are there any clinical trials that I may be eligible for?
- How often will I get the chemo? Where will I go? How long will I need treatment?
The General offers comprehensive infusion services and is here to help you with your specific needs. We know family support and education is a vital part of your treatment and recovery and we're here to help them learn the how-to's of caring for you. Every patient is different, but chemo may be administered daily, weekly or even monthly. Chemotherapy treatments that are given through an IV can last 30 minutes up to a couple of hours. During this time, we encourage you to bring books, magazines, sewing projects or even a close friend or family member to sit with you.
During your treatment, you may also require blood transfusions. We encourage friends and family to be proactive in donating blood specifically for your use or for the use of other cancer patients. LifeShare is the sole provider of blood services for Baton Rouge General, and unlike other blood service organizations, 100% of LifeShare collections benefit people right here in our own community. Family and friends can donate blood at LifeShare's office, located at 3849 North Boulevard, near our Mid City campus. To learn more about their services, please call (225) 383-7728 or email email@example.com.
For more information about infusion services at Baton Rouge General, please call (225) 237-1600, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.