Resources for Safety Managers
Baton Rouge General's Burn Center is a comprehensive burn care program consisting of an acute adult unit, an acute pediatric unit and an outpatient burn clinic. Led by experienced burn surgeons, our interdisciplinary care teams are made up of highly trained specialty nurses, dietitians, respiratory therapists, rehabilitation therapists and social workers.
In the event one of your workers experiences a burn injury, you should immediately call 9-1-1. To manage the situation before emergency responders arrive, here are a few things you can do:
- Stop the burning process by telling the victim to stop, drop and roll.
- Cool the burn, but do not apply any ice.
- Remove all clothes and metal objects. If there is an item of clothing stuck to the skin, leave in place.
- For chemical burns, be sure the victim flushes his/her eyes and body with clean water.
- For electrical burns, make sure the victim is removed from contact.
- If you have a clean sheet on hand, gently lay it on the victim to help maintain body temperature.
We are committed to providing the best burn care and safety training for you and your organization.If you are interested in having our burn care team visit your facility to conduct on-site training for your staff regarding emergency procedures for flame, scald, electrical, chemical or other burn incidents, please call (225) 387-7716 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.