Internal Medicine Residency Program
Baton Rouge General’s Internal Medicine Residency Program is a three-year residency program affiliated with Tulane University School of Medicine. The program is designed to provide broad-based clinical training with an emphasis on primary care medicine. The program assists residents in developing the knowledge and skills needed to become outstanding comprehensive internists capable of managing diverse patients with a broad range of diseases. Residents on inpatient rotations have graded responsibilities and provide much of the direct patient care. Second and third year residents assume increased responsibility for teaching, supervision and mastery of medical knowledge. The program promotes a culture of collegiality and support among both the ambulatory and inpatient teams.
Thank you for your interest in Baton Rouge General’s Internal Medicine Residency Program. We participate in the National Residency Matching Program and do not accept any applicants outside of the match. Applications are accepted through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). The deadline to submit an application is December 31 of each calendar year.
Before you submit your application, please note our admission requirements and special instructions for graduates of medical schools outside of the United States.Applicants to the Internal Medicine Residency Program must have completed and submitted the following upon application:
- ERAS Common Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Dean’s Letter (MSPE)
- A minimum of 3 letters of recommendation from faculty or practitioners with whom you have worked and who can comment on your personal and professional qualifications
- Personal Statement
- Official Medical School Transcript
- Official USMLE Step I and 2 transcripts
If applicable, please address and attach the following:
- Prior participation in a residency program
- Current or prior medical licensure in any state
- Current or prior suspension or revocation of licensure
- Current or prior participation in biomedical research that has resulted in a publication or presentation
- Current or prior interruptions in your medical education
- Any aspect of your candidacy that might limit your ability to carry out the requirements of the house staff position within the time frame of the program
- Plans to participate in the couples match
We welcome International Medical Graduates; requirements for graduates of medical schools outside the United States are listed below.
- You must be ECFMG Certified when applying if you have already graduated from medical school or you must be eligible for an ECFMG Certificate in order to apply. We require that you submit your ECGMG certificate through ERAS before February 1.
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident of the U.S., or possess a valid visa
- Have a current U.S. mailing address
- Incomplete applications may result in a delay or elimination of application review and subsequent invitations to interview.
- Each application is reviewed in its entirety for overall academic excellence, leadership ability, career development potential and personal character.
|Night Float||6 weeks||Bluebonnet|
|Psychiatry||2 weeks||Bluebonnet & Mid City
|Elective Rotation||2 weeks||Bluebonnet & Mid City|
|Internal Medicine||3 - 4 months||Bluebonnet|
|Night Float||1 month||Bluebonnet|
|Swing Rotation||2 weeks||Bluebonnet & Mid City|
|Palliative Care||2 - 6 weeks||Bluebonnet & Mid City|
|Subspecialty||3 months||Bluebonnet & Mid City|
|Elective Rotation||1 month||Bluebonnet & Mid City|
|Internal Medicine||1 month||Bluebonnet|
|Night Float||2 weeks||Bluebonnet|
|Swing Rotation||1 month||Bluebonnet & Mid City|
|Ambulatory Medicine/Practice Management||1 month||Mid City|
The purpose of elective rotations is to allow residents the opportunity to participate in medical activities of their own choosing based on interest, strength or needs. ABIM required subspecialty elective rotations include: Neurology, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, Infectious Disease, Rheumatology, Nephrology, Hematology/Oncology and Pulmonary/Critical Care. Other elective rotations include: Allergy, Geriatrics, Palliative Medicine, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Gynecology, Transitions of Care, Research, Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Radiology, Sleep Medicine and Board Exam Preparation.
Practice management is taught longitudinally in a variety of forums and settings, as well as during the Ambulatory Medicine month in the third year of training.
All residents will rotate at least one (1) half-day a week in the Mid City Medicine Clinic located at Baton Rouge General Mid City, directed by Katherine May, M.D., IM Board Certified and Core Faculty. Residents will be based at the same clinic location for the duration of the three years of residency training where they will see a broad variety of pathologies and be expected to have their own panel of patients.
Admitting Resident Medicine Service (ARMS)
This rotation is intended to:
- Allow residents to gain experience in managing hospitalized patients independently
- Learn the skills to prioritize tasks, time management and systems-based practice
- Learn and interact with ER in a timely and professional manner to facilitate transitions in care
| Total Salary
Residents receive three weeks paid vacation each academic year, plus five days for approved continuing medical education leave in each of the PGY-2 and PGY-3 years. Vacation is allowed in one-week increments only, and may be prescheduled by the Program for PGY-1s. Vacation does not accrue if unused.
Comprehensive health coverage for the resident and his/her dependents is provided through the General Health System Health Plan - paid by Baton Rouge General. Optional medical spending account, dental insurance plan and dental discount plan can be elected at the resident's expense.
Term life insurance coverage is provided to the resident in an amount equal to annual base salary - paid by Baton Rouge General. Optional life insurance and disability benefits can be elected at the resident's expense.
Professional Liability Insurance:
House staff are covered through the General Health System’s Professional Liability Plan for all duties performed as a resident – paid by Baton Rouge General.
Covered Professional Fees:
- American College of Physicians trainee membership dues will be paid by the Program during your residency.
- ACLS, PALS, NALS & ALSO will be paid for (up to $150) one time during residency.
- USMLE Step 3 exam fee will be reimbursed if taken by the 9th month during PGY 1.
Residents receive an allowance during each year of training to provide support for continuing education meetings, scholarly activities, educational books and/or journals and fees that may be associated to your education. An iPad allowance of $350 is assigned to PGY 1 residents to be used during PGY 1. Approval criteria will apply to use of all funds by the Program Director – paid by Baton Rouge General.
Residents receive discounts on prescriptions, services and programs of General Health System.
- White coats and laundry service are provided - paid by Baton Rouge General.
- Resident Lounge - The Resident Lounge is available exclusively for our residents.
- Each resident has their own e-mail address, internet access and other computer resources.
- Residents are issued meal tickets while on-call, as well as the opportunity to eat in the Physicians' Lounge. Residents will receive a discount at the hospital's cafeteria.
- Complimentary parking is provided in a secure lot at both the Bluebonnet and Mid City campuses.
Vasudev Tati, MDProgram Director, Internal Medicine Residency Program
Dr. Tati earned his medical degree from Kasturba Medical College in Karnataka, India and completed his Internal Medicine residency at the University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Dr. Tati is board certified in internal medicine and serves as Assistant Professor for Tulane University School of Medicine.
Sarah Robichaux, MDAssociate Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency Program
Dr. Robichaux received her undergraduate degree from Milsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi. She received her medical degree from Tulane University School of Medicine and completed her Internal Medicine residency at the Baton Rouge General Medical Center. Dr. Robichaux is a faculty physician of the Hospital Medicine Group at Baton Rouge General and works as a faculty member in the Internal Medicine Residency Program.
Subhakar Gummadi, MDFaculty Member
Dr. Gummadi earned his Doctor of Medicine from Siddhartha Medical College in Vijayawada India. He completed his residency at Rush-Westlake Hospital in Melrose Park, Illinois. Dr. Gummadi is Board Certified in Internal Medicine.
William "Keith" Kellum, MDFaculty Member
Dr. Kellum earned his Doctor of Medicine from Louisiana State University Health Sciences in Shreveport, Louisiana. He completed his residency at Louisiana State University Health Sciences in New Orleans. Dr. Kellum is Board Certified in Internal Medicine.
Robert Kenney, MDFaculty Member
Dr. Kenney has been a core medical faculty member for the Tulane University School of Medicine’s Baton Rouge satellite campus and Baton Rouge General Medical Center’s Internal Medicine Residency Program since April 2011. His focus includes the education of Tulane/Baton Rouge General Internal Medicine residents as well as medical students, and additionally, he serves Medical Director of Quality, supporting all other hospital programs. Recently retired from his 26-year private practice at Renal Associates of Baton Rouge, Dr. Kenney brings a breadth of expertise to our team, as a clinician and educator.
Katherine May, MDFaculty Member
Dr. May earned her Doctor of Medicine from Louisiana State University Health Sciences in New Orleans, LA. She completed her residency at the University of Mississippi in Jackson, MS. Dr. May is Board Certified in Internal Medicine.
Melanie McKnight, MDFaculty Member
Dr. McKnight earned her medical degree from Louisiana State University Health Science Center in Shreveport and completed her residency at University Hospital in Jacksonville, Florida. Dr. McKnight completed a fellowship in Rheumatology at Hospital Bichat in Paris France and a fellowship in Nephrology at Louisiana State University Medical Center in New Orleans. She is board certified in internal medicine and nephrology.
Catalina Negulescu, MDFaculty Member
Dr. Negulescu earned her Doctor of Medicine from the University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Lasi Romania. She completed her residency at Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, New Jersey. She is Board Certified in Internal Medicine.
Karthik Reddy, MDFaculty Member
Dr. Reddy earned his Doctor of Medicine from Gandhi Medical College in Secunderabad India. He completed his residency at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in Chicago, IL. Dr. Reddy is Board Certified in Internal Medicine.
S. Raju Vatsavai, MDFaculty Member
Dr. Vatsavai earned his medical degree from Siddartha Medical College in Vijayawada, India and completed his Internal Medicine residency at Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio. He also completed a clinical research fellowship in the department of Cardiology at Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Raju is board certified in internal medicine and serves as Assistant Professor for Tulane University School of Medicine.
Dustyn Williams, MDFaculty Member
Dr. Dustyn Williams received his undergraduate degree from Yale University. He received his Medical Degree from Tulane University School of Medicine and completed an Internal Medicine Residency at Tulane. He carries specialized training in medical education. He is board certified in Internal Medicine. His research interest is focused on using technology to standardize, scale, and automate medical education.
Carol StephensProgram Supervisor
Leanne GuzzardoProgram Coordinator
Angela Durham, RNClinic Coordinator
Class of 2019
Class of 2018
Abhishek Alluri, MD
Galyna Clous, MD
Eric Frusha, MD
Victor Gasia, MD
Yasmin Hajja, MD
Chenna Nalabolu, MD
Gabriel Randall, DO
Gaetano Ruggiero, MD
Class of 2017
Bahareh Binesh, MD
Martin Binesh, MD
Aaron DeWitt, MD
Justin Hogan, MD
Rahul Kurapati, MD
Vijay Neelam, MD
Kishan Talagadadeevi, MD
Robert Territo, DO